Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Growing Pains

Well, my little Chihuahua, Molly(she weighs less than 2#) has decided that because I've never let her be a mommy that she will adopt, ;) which is just fine with me....she has taken over the role of protector and caregiver of love and affection to our little *Honeybee*. My only role now is to feed her, which she thinks should be every time she sees me.
Is this not the cutest face you've ever seen?????
Oh to have her life! ;)
I was taken by surprise today when I went to the chicken pen to let the hens out.....Something unusual caught my eye in one of the nesting boxes.....
My husband and I had made an agreement that we would do everything we could to try and win the mother cats trust.....if for just enough to be able to lure her into something to be able to get her to a vet and have her spaded. We've been feeding her when we see her in the afternoons going across our back yard. I've noticed over the last week that she's been watching me very carefully from a distance......
I suppose it has worked! She moved in!
And she's not alone! Dang!
After much soft talking and very slow moving I was able to get close enough to her to take more pictures and saw how thin and bony she was. The kittens were starving as well. I came in and fixed them some food and water.....
And they all dove in! Poor things!
A while later when mom got down I went in and got the black and white one, brought him in and bathed and blow dried him, they are covered in fleas. He went to sleep and when he woke he acted like he's always been here! He won't take to the bottle like *Honeybee* does but thats to be expected. He's way tinier than she is too.
I'll get the last two tomorrow and bring them in, but first see if I can catch mom. I can't wait too long because when I went to reach in to get the spotted kitten they hissed and growled at me. Mom did too when I brought the food out to them earlier.
I'm hoping this is *Honeybee's* mom, there is another cat that looks like her around here too. I do wish people would be responsible with their pets and have them fixed before letting them roam free and multiply. It's such a burden on those of us that care!

I'll keep you posted on our Hemingway kitties;)

TTFN!
Julie

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Molly only weighs 2 pounds? She's playing mom to honeybee? How sweet! As soon as I saw that mama cat, I thought it was honeybee's mom. More kittens? Poor things. It makes me sad.

    People are jerks sometimes with the way they treat animals. But you are doing a wonderful and marvelous thing by helping the helpless.

    Bless you Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    You are so sweet and we both know that you would do the same thing by taking them in and feeding them.
    My husband had to have minor surgery today and by the time we got home, the mama cat had moved the kittens again! Ugh! I will keep trying to find them and get them from her at least.(Hopefully before they get any wilder) I don't want them to grow up and breed anymore unwanted cats.

    ((((HUGS)))) to you Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie....Is your husband alright? Hope it's nothing serious.

    Mama cats are like that..always moving their babies around, trying to keep them safe. In Dallas, TX they have a huge feral cat problem, as well as tons of stray dogs. It's so very sad.

    Yes, I would do the same. But it always touches my heart when I see other people, such as yourself, offering the same kindness to the animals. Hope you find those kittens. Keep us posted!

    Warm hugs right back at ya!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey Bee is so cute! Kittens are so much fun. I love that Molly has adopted her. That is so sweet.

    The pictures of the mama cat and babies in the nest box are way too cute. Mama cats will move babies to keep them hidden and safe - I hope she found a good place for them.

    I completely agree with you - irresponsible pet owners are one of my pet peeves. You're so sweet to take care of strays like you do.

    ReplyDelete